Significant Reductions in Energy Use, Greenhouse Gas Emissions Highlight Ball's Second Sustainability Report
woensdag 23 juni 2010Report Highlights
--Ball invested more than $36 million in energy savings projects since 2007.
--The company reduced total energy use by 11 percent and improved energy efficiency per 1000 units produced by 9 percent since 2007.
--Ball's normalized greenhouse gas emissions have declined 13 percent since 2005.
--Ball's absolute water usage declined by 8.6 percent and water efficiency improved by 5.5 percent since 2007.
Ball Corporation (NYSE: BLL) identified five sustainability priorities and described the company's sustainability vision and long-term direction in its second sustainability report, released today and available at www.ball.com/sustainability.
"Sustainability is connected directly to creating value for our stakeholders and for Ball," said R. David Hoover, Ball's chairman and chief executive officer. "Our second sustainability report and expanded online sustainability reporting provide details on the progress we have made over the past two years, and on our focus going forward as we continue to drive our economic, social and environmental performance."
Ball initiated a sustainability materiality analysis with key stakeholders in 2009 to help determine the company's sustainability priorities and ensure they were aligned with the wider supply chain for its products. A sustainability materiality analysis asks stakeholders to rank a variety of issues in order of importance to the stakeholder. After incorporating the feedback, Ball determined these five priorities and long-term directions:
- Packaging: We will develop the lightest weight, most recycled, consumer-preferred packaging for the markets in which we compete.
- Energy: We will significantly and cost-effectively reduce our energy consumption.
- Water & Waste: We will reduce our water usage and send zero waste to landfills.
- Safety: We will have zero accidents in our facilities.
- Talent Management: We will recruit, develop and retain talented, diverse employees who share our core values and reflect our communities.